Hi, Frank.


Today I met Frank Peretti. Christian fiction writer. Author of books like, This Present Darkness, The Oath, Hangman's Curse, House. Yes. That Frank Peretti.

He was visiting for the World Changers Society induction ceremony, which is something IWU does every Spring semester. This year's inductee was Joni Erickson Toda, who was injured in a tragic diving accident. Despite the fact that she is a quadriplegic confined to a wheelchair, Mrs. Toda has become a well-known artist (holding the paintbrush between her teeth) and the founder/supporter of organizations that work on behalf of people with disabilities. She's an amazing woman. Her faith was evident as she spoke, and I can't imagine the amount of perseverance she must possess to overcome everything that life has thrown at her. All that to say, Peretti was the 2004 inductee, so he and his wife returned to celebrate the induction of Mrs. Toda. 

I sat near the front, and after the ceremony was over I waited around, shook his hand, and told him I was an IWU writing student. He put his hand on the side of my face and said, "Well bless you!" (Which I think meant, "Good luck, kiddo.") Then we talked about writing a little bit. He told me that the most important thing is to write even when you don't feel inspired. He told me that writing isn't easy. That there will be days when you would rather not do it. "But sometimes you just have to put your tush in the chair and write. You'll get something eventually." I needed to hear that. 

I told him I liked his work, and that my mom was an especially big fan. He signed my program, which I'll probably always keep because I'm sentimental like that and because it will remind me to work hard. It will remind me to write, even on days when I would rather watch Oprah or organize my junk drawer or repaint my toenails, because doing stuff like that is so much easier. Instead, I will write.

Thanks, Frank.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Way to go Heather. I know that if you will apply yourself i the way I know you can God will use you in great and mighty ways. Your future is bright and with Gods help the world will be a better place because of you. Love, Dad