Good Old-fashioned Heartache


Chalk up another one. My list of failed relationships with the male species is expanding yet again. You know how most people “never make the same mistake twice”? Well, apparently I missed that memo and have become an expert double dipper. I feel like a miserable failure, I hate hurting other people. Although I continue to knock myself out in the dating arena, I have learned one incredibly effective maneuver. I have found the cure for good old-fashioned heartache.

This weekend I took a mini road trip with my three roommates, Noelle, Leah and Lindsey. We made the three and a half hour trek to Wheaton College to watch Lindsey’s brother start during his senior football season. We stood huddled together in our Mickey Mouse ponchos and flowered umbrellas as the typical mid-west weather graced us with its presence. Although I would not classify myself as a football fanatic, it was a great afternoon with the Carmichael family. After the game we trudged our way to a favorite Chicago pizza joint and let our soggy, rolled jeans escape from the rain. The rest of the weekend consisted of relaxing in the hot tub, late night television marathons in our pajamas, church together on Sunday morning and a visit to the local apple orchard. Our car ride was filled with heartfelt discussions about boys, family and how time seems to be speeding up now that we’re in college. In between our serious talks we wailed along with Noelle’s ipod selection of classic pop songs.

You see, there was nothing magical about the weekend, but there is something incredibly healing about spending time with a few of your closest friends. I truly believe that friendship is the cure to heartache. With each floundered relationship I am increasingly grateful for the friends that remain by my side through thick and thin. These girls have seen me in my prime moments and in my worst. They have seen the way my hair sticks up in the morning, they have listened to me whine about my frustrating professors and countless times they have patiently waited for me to apply my eyeliner, even though I am already running five minutes late. Through it all they still love me. They push me, hug me, and call me out on the carpet if needed.

So, you want relationship advice? Don’t ask me. You want friendship advice? I say the more the merrier. Surround yourself with people who know your heart, with people who see past your charade, because true friends bring joy to your life. True friends help you stitch up your heart.

1 comment:

Angela said...

call me or I'll call you:)