Slippery Summer Success


To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty,
to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

True success is difficult in the summer. In my brief 19 years of existence, I've come to realize that summer opens the door to sleeping in until the day has past, laying around the pool as though it were an occupation, eating too many gallons of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and altogether looking at one's belly button more often than one should, because after all...what else is there to do? Although none of these things are bad... (and believe me, I enjoy sleep, ice cream and a tan just as much as the next girl!) I've wasted one too many summers on myself alone. This summer, I decided, would be different.

Before I left school I made a list of 21 things that I want to accomplish this summer. (Maybe I'll post it later. We'll see...) Those 21 things range from reading good books, spending meaningful time with God and learning how to drive a stick shift! Although none of my "goals" are incredibly groundbreaking, I believe they have the power to transform my thinking. All for the simple reason that they are forcing me to live my life to the fullest, not just watch it drift away by the pool. Pastor Mark just finished a series based off the book "One Month to Live", and it was great! (Props to Mark.) If I only had one month to live (or one summer), would I lay in my bed or would I get out there and do something exciting and even a little dangerous? Would I let my Bible collect dust or would I pursue a more vibrant relationship with Christ? Would I sit by myself and watch a movie or would I reconnect with an old friend over coffee instead?

My summer "To-do" list has motivated me to make this summer truly successful. I would encourage you to find meaningful ways to spend your time this summer. ENJOY RELAXING, of course! But don't waste all your time on yourself. Bless someone else's life while you live yours full tilt!

No comments: